in 1988. A year earlier, in Hamburg, he had written and recorded the first KMFDM album and single with En Esch and Sascha Konietzko. He had also helped deliver the sonic slaughter of Einsturzende Neubauten, Psychic TV, Die Haut, and most of the Berlin and Hamburg underground, as both live and studio sound engineer, and producer.
was cut from the belly of Raymond Watts with a rusty screwdriver in a basement opposite The Wall. The first squeals were committed to tape and saw the light of day as A Poke in the Eye. Wax Trax! jumped to release it. After writing the music for the second KMFDM album, Watts then slipped away to tour with Foetus, playing keyboards and guitar. He returned to Berlin to produce, with Jim Thirlwell, the classic
12-inch, Sick City. Under the name 2 Kut he made a series of 12-inch singles featuring the likes of Blixa Bargeld and Jim Thirlwell.
When The Wall collapsed, the party was over. Watts returned to London and
albums poured forth: Praise the Lard, A Stroll in the Pork, Shit For Brains, Red Raw & Sore and The Swining. Watts programmed, produced and performed, ploughing a lone furrow until Karl Hyde, singer and sinner with Underworld, came to his assistance on guitars.
Watts had also developed a taste for all things Japanese. His label was based there, his morals were parked there and
had toured there many times. He was soon involved with a highly successful bunch of ne'er-do-wells called Schaft. Their album Switchblade, and a sold-out tour, followed.
opened for NIN. This led to
's Sinsation album being released on Nothing Records --- and then a return to Wax Trax! for Wrecked. Both albums were highly acclaime
d. Watts also rejoined KMFDM in 1994, for the
v KMFDM EP Sin, Sex & Salvation. On the ensuing album Nihil Watts took over writing and vocal duties, spawning Juke Joint Jezebel, the massive crossover industrial/dance hit. Multiple remixes of Juke Joint Jezebel by Georgio Moroder took the single to a whole new audience.
Many sold-out and heaving tours followed, with Watts orchestrating the chaos from centre stage like a rampant ringmaster armed only with talent and tequila.
When not on tour, Watts could be found in his Ranch Apocalypse studios in London, working on
's No One Gets Out of Her Alive, Prime Evil, Disrupt Degrade & Devastate and the KMFDM album Symbols. On the album Genuine American Monster, Watts reunited with legendary guitarist Guenter Schulz.
While in Toyko, Watts gave birth to the band Schwein with Sascha Konietzko and the Japanese superstars Sakurai and Imai. The albums Schweinstein and Son Of Schweinstein and a sold-out tour ensued.
After releasing the
album Pigmartyr (Pigmata on Metropolis), Watts spent time in London indoctrinating his piglets and initiating them into the parish of the pork. When not leading his children down the path of righteousness, he could be found writing music for fashion and films for Alexander McQueen, Chloe, Marios Schwab, Halston, The Row and others. He also wrote music and did sound design for Punk: Chaos to Couture, the exhibition at the Met in New York.
In the final show before his death, Alexander McQueen commissioned Watts and John Gosling, Watts's old partner-in-crime from Psychic TV days, to embellish the serene instrumental track Inside, from
's Genuine American Monster album. This became the fluid soundtrack to what is seen as McQueen's masterpiece, Plato's Atlantis. This show was reprised as the finale of Savage Beauty, the McQueen retrospective that broke all records at the Met in New York and the V&A in London. He also wrote other original music and did sound design for the show.
Last year, in 2015,
dipped his trotter in the trough once more, and released both the much lauded
v Primitive Race EP Long in the Tooth, and the Compound Eye Sessions:
v MC Lord of the Flies (aka Marc Heal, of Cubanate).
The Primitive Race collaboration brought together Watts and Mark Thwaite, of The Mission, Tricky and Peter Murphy fame, amongst many others. Together they set about writing what would become the main column of misery around which the new
album, The Gospel, has been built. Watts' newest partner in swine, Z. Marr of Combichrist fame, shared production and writing duties.
album, The Gospel, is a collection of twelve songs of ruin, redemption, resolution and resurrection. Across this tale of grime and punishment En Esch and Guenter Schulz leave their unmistakable trail of greasy fingerprints.
will be alive and kicking across North America this fall, on the American Excess tour. The live band will comprise Raymond Watts, En Esch, Guenter Schulz, Z. Marr and Galen Waling.
|Here To Stay||Pigmata|
|Prayer Praise & Profit||Genuine American Monster|
|PIGMATA · MET 397D· |
1. Suck Spit Shit 2. Here To Stay 3. Reject 4. Situation 5. Kundalini 6. Vitrol Vice And Virtue 7. Take 8. Arbor Vitate 9. Stage Slut 10. Junky 11. God Rod 12. On The Slaughterfront 13. Filth Healer
|PIGMATA · MET 397· |
1. Suck Shit Spit 2. Here To Stay 3. Reject 4. Situation 5. Kundalini 6. Vitriol Vice and Virtue 7. Take 8. Arbor Vitate 9. Stage Slut 10. Junky 11. God Rod 12. On the Slaughterfront 13. Filth Healer
|GENUINE AMERICAN MONSTER · MET 264D· |
1. Prayer Praise & Profit 2. Riot Religion & Righteousness 3. Salambo 4. Whore 5. Flesh Fest 6. Black Brothel 7. Disrupt Degrade & Devastate 8. F.O.M. 9. A Fete Worse Than Death 10. Cry Baby 11. Inside 12. Saved [Locust Remix]
|GENUINE AMERICAN MONSTER · MET 264· |
1. Prayer Praise & Profit 2. Riot Religion & Righteousness 3. Salambo 4. Whore 5. Flesh Fest 6. Black Brothel 7. Disrupt Degrade & Devastate 8. F.O.M. 9. A Fete Worse Than Death 10. Cry Baby 11. Inside 12. Saved (Locust Remix)
|THE GOSPEL (LIMITED 2LP) · MET 1040V· COMING SEP 09 · |
1. Diamond Sinners 2. Found In Filth 3. Toleration Or Truth 4. Drugzilla 5. Missing The Mainline 6. Viva Evil 7. Saturated 8. The Fly Upon The Pin 9. I'm So Wrong 10. Mercy Murder 11. Make Yourself Deny 12. Violence
|THE GOSPEL · MET 1040· COMING SEP 09 · |
1. Diamond Sinners 2. Found In Filth 3. Toleration Or Truth 4. Drugzilla 5. Missing The Mainline 6. Viva Evil 7. Saturated 8. The Fly Upon The Pin 9. I'm So Wrong 10. Mercy Murder 11. Make Yourself Deny